Friday, March 9, 2007

Plagiarism issue #1

Hello all,

Though posts aren't due until 11:59pm tonight, I checked a few to make sure that everyone is on the right track. Sadly to say, I've already discovered plagiarism and this is the first assignment. Please know that plagiarism is synonymous with academic dishonesty. It is cheating. It's rude, disrespectful and insulting to me and your classmates, especially those who actually take the time to complete this challenging assignment.

If you are unsure of what plagiarism is, please see me, refer to the academic dishonesty policy for a description of plagiarism and the consequences, and visit
Owl@Purdue University's website for ways to avoid plagiarism.

Know that my policy is an automatic zero. It does not matter if some, or most, of the assignment is yours. Any plagiarism of any kind (ideas, concepts, phrases, words, sentences, passages, entire papers, etc) will result in a zero the first time, a zero and conference with parents the second time, and any academic/discipline procedures will be fully executed.

Here is a sample of plagiarism:
"Despite his sadness at the news, José Arcadio Buendía does not lose interest in new technology and marvels: when the gypsies show him ice, the patriarch of Macondo proclaims it the best thing since sliced bread".

Here is the actual text
"Despite his sadness at the news, José Arcadio Buendía does not lose interest in new technology and marvels: when the gypsies show him ice, the patriarch of Macondo proclaims it the greatest invention in the world".--courtesy of Spark Notes ch.1.

2 comments:

Hannibal the Great said...

ms brown i don't understand what you are sayin about the plagarism in the section. I must have read it wrong because thats how I interpretted it as him losing interest until they show him ice. I thought he lost interst because he was unsuccessful with the metal detector like object and the other gifts. So contact me so we can further discuss these issues

Hannibal the Great said...

I changed but It wasnt on purpose or anything i used it as a reference just like with the rest of my summaries for the most part they are in my own words but if you find anymore indiscrepencies please let me know before you make any drastic decisions.